Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP)
Who We Are
California Health Collaborative’s Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) provides care coordination, case management, and advocacy services to older adults on Medi-Cal whose physical or cognitive limitations put them at risk of nursing home placement. MSSP care managers are registered nurses and social workers who assist participants with accessing the services they need to remain living safely in their homes. CHC’s MSSP is part of a statewide system funded through a Medicaid (Medi-Cal) waiver to delay or prevent nursing home placement for frail older adults by coordinating services in the home at a lower cost than a nursing home stay. MSSP’s funding and oversight is provided through the California Department of Aging.
MSSP is an important resource.
Often older adults need substantial care to remain living at home safely and may not know what services are available or how to obtain them. MSSP’s interdisciplinary team of a nurse and social worker provide each participant with health and psychosocial assessments in the home and an individualized plan of care. MSSP care managers work with individuals and their families and caregivers each month to assess needs, access existing resources, and to purchase supplementary services when essential. Care managers also provide valuable guidance and support for participants, family members, and caregivers as needed and work in coordination with other programs and services to address challenges.
California Health Collaborative’s MSSP also provides resources and information to individuals who are not interested in or qualified for MSSP and serves as part of four local Adult and Aging Resource Connections’ extended partnerships and advisory committees as part of a no-wrong door philosophy.
There is no cost to eligible participants and participants may change their mind at any time without impacting services provided through other non-duplicative programs.
- Empower participant and family decision-making capabilities
- Assess caregiving, healthcare, home safety, and equipment needs
- Link to needed resources such as meals, housekeeping, safety equipment, and transportation
- Refer for and monitor adequacy of in-home help
- Provide advocacy, education, support, and guidance
- Act as a liaison to families at a distance
Services will only be provided to individuals who are currently enrolled in MSSP.
- Age 65 or better
- Has Medi-Cal with an eligible aid code
- Benefits from assistance for safety with 3 or more daily living tasks
- Lives within El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, or Yuba County
- Willing to participate in services