North State Equity
Who We Are
The focus of the EQUITY program is to increase the availability of smoking cessation resources throughout six northern California counties: Butte, Glenn, Tehama, Shasta, Colusa, and Yuba.
One strategy is working with local healthcare clinics, behavioral health clinics and treatment facilities to ensure they have the training and resources to assist every smoking client to quit!
- In these counties, nearly 20 percent of residents 18 years old or older use tobacco products– one of the highest smoking rates in the state.
- Smoking kills more people than HIV, illegal drugs, alcohol, motor vehicle injuries, suicides and murders combined
- Smoking harms nearly every organ in the body and increases the risk of:
- Coronary heart disease by two to four times.
- Stroke by two to four times.
- Lung cancer in men by 23 times
- Lung cancer in women by 13 times.
- Chronic obstructive lung diseases (chronic bronchitis and emphysema) by 12 to 13 times.
The Equity program is funded by the California Tobacco Control Program under grants no. 15-1022 and no. 17-10569
- Tobacco Treatments in Behavioral Health – Infographic
- Model Policy – Tobacco Free Healthcare
- Ask, Advise, Refer – Employee Guide
- Quitting Tobacco – Resource Guide
- Tobacco Cessation Tools for Health Care Providers
- Free Quitlines Cards for Clinicians – Order Here
- Tobacco-Free Toolkit for Behavioral Health
- Tobacco Cessation Billing Guide for Providers
- Mobile App – Quit Tobacco
- Drug Interactions with Tobacco Smoke